After not accounting for the enclosure's material thickness, I needed chop up the breadboard to give everything clearance.

Next steps: figure the positioning of the display cut out and get it all mounted.

The enclosure is made for the power meter that mates with the dummy load. The last pic to show where the components will go.

This was my first time using pcb to make a soldered enclosure and I've mixed feelings on the results of my work

1. The pcb was cut by scoring and was not as accurate as I would like.

2. The solder is not as clean as I'd like. I'nl blame that on lousy rough shod jigs.

3. I'm afraid I measured wrong and it won't all fit!

Six little pieces of pcb that will evolve to be an enclosure for the rf power meter.

Boy, sometimes it feels like the longest part of my projects is designing and building enclosures.

My favourite shot from the weekend. That's Mount Anne at the back (#SOTA VK7/SW-001). A few hours earlier I went up there and made 5 contacts with VK2/VK3. I think 40 wasn't fully open - mostly S2-5 reports but we got through. Not an easy summit to reach, especially with a squid pole in one hand. #amateurradio #bushwalking

On the dummy load front, the the little plug-in power meter using a nano board is complete and looks like it may actually be working! Next I'll probably tack it onto the dummy load to try it out...

The hard part though will be the enclosure. Couldn't find one I liked, so I'm planning to make one out of pcb.

Blerg... just for fun I thought let's try unmounting the voltage regulator and see if the display still cuts out. Well so far so good, not a single hiccup. Wiggled the wires -- all good.

So what gives? If the issue is heat dissipation it aught to work better with the heatsink fins pointed up when it is mounted (2nd pic)

I guess tomorrow, another day, I'll put it back in place and see what happens

Hi all. I've been licensed since 1981, but became inactive due to work and other obligations. I've started to getting the bug again, mostly on the digital modes and I watch a lot of YouTube channels on the hobby😁. My main rig right now is a Yaesu 857, but I think an Icom 7300 may be added in the very near future. I'm a software engineer by day. At home I mostly use MacOS and kubuntu Linux. I'm just having a blast learning and playing with all the new stuff.

Finally, a proper heatsink for the µBITX! I figured out a way to mount it independent of the back panel which will make it easier to work on.

But what an effort it was to get it all together. Getting the aluminum spacer drilled and tapped was the cause of much anguish, and till done it consumed 2 drill bits and two taps that are still embedded in the block. I also needed to unsolder and reposition one of the transistor for it to fit.

Another of my many interests is lock picking at which I'm a rank amateur. I'm determined to stick to basics and learn to do it one pin at a time with a hook rather than supposedly easier techniques like scrubbing.

20 × 1kΩ 3w resistors in parallel
= 50Ω 60w resistor.

But, 1 60w resistor + 1 qt mineral oil + 1 paint can = 150w dummy load.

That's supposed to be a conservative estimate, according to the designer. I'll to say I think it a far better use of the mineral oil than the one listed on the label.

50Ω dummy load for testing ham radio transmitters built into a quart paint can. When complete it will be filled with mineral oil to help dissipate the heat.

My mistake was in following the directions! My beautifully soldered resistor network didn't fit in the can. Crimping them made it small enough to fit through the opening.

Next step will to build a nano powered power meter that will plug into to banana jacks.

Urrrgh, spent too much time trying to figure out why the social plugin for 15 wasn't connecting with any mastodon instances. Contrary to what the plugin told me, my social ID is not @digger@jodigDOTnet it's @digger@cloudDOTjodigDOTnet

For a hobby that's about being wireless, why am I surrounded by so many wires and cables?

I wish people would quit assuming my interest in decentralization is based on privacy concerns. There are lots of things that are much higher priorities:

• Censorship resistance.
• Resilience. An entire library of content/social graph isn't destroyed because of a change in corporate focus.
• Evolution. Protocols can change more when not under a single administrative domain of control, and in ways that meet the interests of user communities rather than productization committees.
• Flexibility. Since things are decentralized anyway, it's much harder for the system to ossify in a way that relies on one particular family of devices.
• Namespacing. Being able to 'reserve your brand' across all social graphs is an antifeature.

And to think,
I used to be a perfectionist.
pfffft
It's amazing how forgiving things can be.

In this release, you will be able to fully customize your tag timelines as soon as your instance will support it. It already works on mastodon.social

via @mastalab

framapiaf.org/@mastalab/101318

This is it -- the radio bench on a typical day. I occasionally clean and straighten it up -- most times that happens when I can't find something...

and then a moment later... here I am again

Well look at this, the Nextion display all lit up and everything! Put a big honkin' cap across the regulator's output hoping to smooth out the spikes and it did the trick.

Thought I'd try one more time while waiting for some Fairchild regulators to come in the mail. I'll be curious to try them out and see what difference they make.

Show more
Mastodon.Radio

Mastodon.Radio is a community space for the Amateur (Ham) Radio community.

Come join us and talk radio, technology, and more!
Sign up with your callsign, or name if you are a SWL.

We have some rules, please read them, but they are basically "be nice".

This instance is sponsored by
Cheltenham Amateur Radio Association Mythic Beasts