I have a question!

When I travel to another CEPT country, I can operate using a reciprocal license, e.g. As DE/M0YNG OR EI/M0YNG

How does this apply to ? do I need to register a new ID?

What about ? Do I need to change my callsign? Will things like understand it's still/also me?

Would a message to M0YNG-5 also get delivered to EI/M0YNG-5?
Would anyone watching me cross a border see me stop and a new thing appear? Or one thing carry on?

Thank for all the replies on this toot!

Seems like it works more or less like I suspected.
Sadly I don't have any convenient land borders I can try it with nearby...

@M0YNG Can't speak from personal experience, but I imagine people operating internationally on DMR keep their original call; I could see it being extremely cumbersome not to.

From what I saw people are crossing the borders continuously broadcasting their position with , so I would assume that no change is needed. If I'm wrong I'd love someone to correct me 😉

@M0YNG I think it's one of those things where accuracy takes a back seat to practicality. I have a similar issue here - I use VA7YK in Canada, but because I'm not a Canadian citizen, whenever I go to the states I switch to my UK call M0VKG as I'm covered under CEPT.

APRS is a fickle beast at the best of times as well - depending on the radio (or APRS client) messages sent to M0YNG-<x> might not be picked up by M0YNG-<y> - it's all down to the receiver.

Amateur radio - always complicated 😄

As I recall, APRS cannot handle the '/' character. When I operate abroad I leave the APRS callsign alone but alter my beacon text to show the CEPT callsign for legal ID purposes. I found this fell apart in the USA as the local igates would only relay American prefixes and ignored my UK call. As far as DMR is concerned, I think the same principles apply. Your legal ID is what you say on voice i.e. CEPT callsign , the numeric DMR ID is a courtesy only.

Sign in to participate in the conversation

Mastodon.Radio is a community space for the Amateur (Ham) Radio community.

Come join us and talk radio, technology, and more!
We suggest you sign up with your callsign.

We have some rules, please read them, but they are basically "be nice".

This instance is sponsored by
Cheltenham Amateur Radio Association Mythic Beasts